All You Need to Know About The Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP)

  1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. Birth Certificate
  4. All You Need to Know About The Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP)
Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program

Parents must be on high alert more than ever, especially when it comes to traveling with your children. Generally, the safety of our children has become even more important than it has ever been. Never heard of the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP), We’d like to share some informative details of this program and why it is important for your family. 

What is the Children’s Passport Issuance Program? 

The Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program is a program that allows a specific office at the Department of State to contact parents and/or legal guardians to ensure that specific requirements for parental consent have been met when applying for a child’s passport. Why is this so important?

When a new application is processing, the CPIAP program will alert parents at the exact moment of processing. This benefit is to prevent international child abductions.

How to enroll my child in the CPIAP program? 

Enrolling your child into the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program is easy and simple! There are three things you will need to submit to the Department of State’s Passport Services:

  • A completed registration form, DS-3077
  • Government-issued ID
  • A birth certificate or other documentation to prove you are a legal parent and/or guardian of the child

What can I do if my children don’t have a US passport?

 This process can be a bit challenging versus a child with a US passport. Nonetheless, when it comes to parental abductions, it is common for internationally abducted children in the US to have dual nationality. On the other hand, the US Department of State is not able to prevent another country from issuing your child a passport. However, there are other outlets you can take to be protected. You can send to the appropriate embassy a written request, along with any other relevant documentation to prevent a passport from being issued to your child.

Are you planning a trip with your kids? Check this information first.