Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

  1. Home
  2. Glossary
  3. Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

Some U.S. states offer a special type of federally-approved driver’s license, and ID card called an Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL). EDLs feature machine-readable barcodes and radio frequency identification (RFID) chips that are designed to make border crossings simpler.

An EDL can be used to re-enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. However, EDLs can only be used when traveling by land or sea and are not valid for international air travel.

Only Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington states issue EDLs. If you live in one of these states and want to get an EDL, you can get one through either the DMV or Secretary of State’s office, depending on which state you are in. You must go in-person and provide:

Navigate Glossary Terms

Previous Term
Next Term
Driver’s License