Form FS-240

  1. Home
  2. Glossary
  3. Form FS-240

When a child is born to a U.S. citizen living outside the country, the parent(s) must register their birth abroad with the embassy or consulate. They will then issue the child a Form FS 240 instead of a U.S. birth certificate. However, this form is more commonly known as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). Form FS 240 is an essential vital record that serves as proof of the child’s US citizenship. 

A child born abroad to U.S. citizens will need Form FS 240 to:

  • Apply for American IDs
  • Get a Social Security number
  • Reside and work in the U.S.

Previously, the State Department issued forms FS 545 and DS 1350 to American children born abroad. However, in 2011 these documents were replaced by Form FS 240.

How to Register for Form FS 240

If you are an American citizen and have recently or will soon have a child outside the country, you must register their birth with your local US embassy or consulate. It’s important to register your child’s foreign birth and get an FS 240 as soon as possible. This will ensure that your child’s American citizenship is recognized.

To apply for a CRBA for your child, you will need to complete and submit form DS 2029. However, if the child was born out of wedlock and only the father is a U.S. citizen, you must use form DS 5507 instead.

You will also need to provide:

  • The child’s foreign-issued birth certificate (translated to English, if necessary)
  • Two 2” x 2” photographs of the child
  • Proof of the parents’ U.S. citizenship
  • Proof that parents resided in the U.S. for the required length of time (varies by the situation)
  • Parents’ government-issued IDs
  • Pregnancy and birth records
  • Proof of a relationship between the parents

You must submit the completed application and required documents to your local embassy or consulate. When they have approved your application, they will issue a CRBA for your child. 

How to Get a Replacement Form FS 240

In order to apply for a replacement form FS 240, you must be either:

  • The person on record and over 18 years of age
  • The parent or legal guardian of the person on record
  • Have written authorization to apply on behalf of the person on record

To request a replacement, you will need to provide a notarized, written request that contains the person on record’s: 

  • Birth name
  • Adoptive names (if applicable)
  • Place and date of birth
  • Passport information
  • Parents’ or legal guardians’ names
  • FS 240 serial number (if known)

The document must be signed by the requester, and they will also need to provide their contact information and mailing address where the form should be sent. If you are the person on record’s legal guardian, you must include the guardianship court order as well. 

Finally, mail the notarized request and required documents, along with payment for the processing fees and an acceptable form of photo ID, to: U.S. Department of State
Passport Vital Records
Section 44132 Mercure Cir.
PO Box 1213
Sterling, VA 20166-1213

Navigate Glossary Terms

Previous Term
County Clerk
Next Term
Driving Records